Don't Let the Bird Bite You in the Bootie

Among the most successful activities for U6 players is this game that requires the parents to chase their children as they try and score a goal as quickly as possible. "Don't Let the Bird Bite You in the Bootie" works on three key skills for U6 players: dribbling at game speed, vision and shooting. The setup is very simple. Line players up on a line about 15-25 yards from a small goal. Have their parents line up behind them and act like birds (trust me, they will do it). On your command "Don't let the bird bite you in the bootie" players dribble as fast as possible to a point where they can take a shot on goal. Their object is to get the ball into the goal before they get "bit."

Obviously, this one works because you sell the kids on the risk of getting bit by a bird. In an earlier iteration, it was "don't let the bird bite you in the back." I observed several kids dribbling while putting their arms behind them to keep from getting bit. That told me I needed to make it less scary. The bootie is a natural target because the kids think it is funny. As I tell them about the game, I repeatedly point to my bootie as I give them the instructions. By the end, I have repeated it a couple of times and then pointed to my bootie as I started the phrase "don't let the bird bite you in the..." and they all scream out the answer and then I shout out the catchphrase and let them go.

If you have two goals, you can have them shoot at one goal and then go to the other goal. Parents make good goals if no regular goals or pop-ups are available.

Some caveats:

  • Try to spread them out as much as possible. I have the parents help to place the kids. Inevitably someone falls down. Warn the parents to watch out and not to step on a kid (or fall themselves). 
  • As with all goal scoring games, players do not get their ball out of the goal after scoring, but you should have an adult or two who handles that job. 
  • Encourage the kids to celebrate beating the bird and scoring a goal with a good goal celebration away from the goal. 
  • Make sure every kid scores. 
  • Don't bite the kid in the bootie.....
Image 1: 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

U6 Resources for coaches

How to enjoy your child's game

Pinball!! or using parents as goals and cones